"I will not tolerate - I will not allow - any talk of the necessity of necessary evil. I've spent my life on that line and every time I've seen someone cross it in the name of a greater good, death and horror and shame was what followed."August Emerson, also known as the Hero of Elysium, is the Commander-in-Chief of the G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. programme and the Commanding Officer of the GSV Arcadia. As a celebrated Systems Alliance officer, soldier and diplomat, he was hailed as a war hero of the Skyllian Blitz. He is also Patient Zero of the deadly Mummer's Plague, a terminal disease that copies the symptoms of other similar deadly illnesses.
He underwent the ICT program in Brazil during his time as an Alliance Major, earning the N7 ranking. Emerson has not only witnessed major turning points in recent galactic history, but also played an important role in them. He is a key player in the Civil Uprising story arc of 2185, the Terminus War story arc of 2186, and the Crucible story arc of 2187.
August Emerson is a man in his prime with an extremely muscular and athletic figure for a man of his age and size. He practices body-building, and as a result, he has a bulky physique without it being too cumbersome. Having worked on his body since he was a teenager, August is in peak physical condition and has said that he likely will be until he dies.
Being quite a vain man, he takes quite a bit of pride in his appearance. Notably, he takes a lot of time on his hair, which has earned him the ire of his peers on multiple occasions. Initially having it cut every few weeks by a salon, he now stylizes his own brown hair by slicking it back and shaving it on the sides regularly, making sure to wash it every single day, twice a day.
One of his notable features is his large, piercing blue eyes that seem to command respect when he gazes out onto a room. It is a feature of his that is said to have been passed down from Emerson to Emerson.
One of his flaws that he's quite self conscious about is his skin. Rough and course from years of hard work and labor, is slightly tanned and heavily scarred from his experience in the field of battle. His most visible scar is the one on the right-hand side of his face, a burn mark from an Inferno grenade that went off in his vicinity after he saved a man from its blast. He makes his best effort to cover it up in battle with a tactical visor and signature dark blue war paintt. However, he allows it to be seen while in his civilian attire, believing that the scar reminds the people around him of what he's been through, even if he himself hates it.
Weapons and Biotics
August is often very well-equipped for battle, with his years of service providing him some of the best weaponry that humanity and the galaxy has to offer. He can be seen carrying an M-76 Revenant Heavy Assault Rifle, M-22 Eviscerator and an M-6 Carnifex Hand Cannon.
As a powerful human biotic, August is classified as a Vanguard, a high-risk, high-reward combatant that uses martial abilities and biotic powers to control the battlefield with a nonstop assault. He is outfitted with the L5n Implant which allows him to devastate enemies with highly offensive biotic powers. His bio-amp is a Savant Level 8 Amp.
Armor and Apparel
August's sense of style is actually fairly fashionable. He is known to have a variety of the same G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. uniforms, switching between a casual and formal attire off the bat whenever the mood arises. Convinced to by JACK, he also has a variety of female attires in his walk-in closet in his command quarters, believing that the lucky woman he ends up with one day should also be given as many options as she wants. When not on duty, he can be seen wearing nice, but cheap clothing, such as a pair of nice jeans and a long-sleeve shirt, not believing in buying expensive apparel to wear.
However, during combat, he takes a more simple approach to his wear. August wears his tried-and-true blue and black Kestral body armor into combat, which is adorned with various scratches, dents, and the like from years of service and upkeep. Not being a particularly sentimental man, this body armor is one of the only somewhat ugly things he owns as it is very special to him. It has recently been given a GUARDIAN logo on its left arm.
G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. Personnel File
- Serial Number: GF1 - 811-116
- Active Rank: Commander-in-Chief
- Most Recent Assignment: Commanding Officer of the CSV Aegis.
- Previous Assignments:
- Private stationed at Arcturus Station.
- Sergeant aboard the SSV Madrigal.
- Commanding Officer of the SSV Come and Get It.
August Emerson was born to Frank and Marla Emerson on November 6th, 2144 in the town of Salem, Massachusetts. With an enlisted mother, a stay-at-home father, and two sisters named Danielle and Shirley, August was never in want of company at home and was doted over constantly. His father and mother, unfortunately, were red sand addicts in their youth. Both were able to kick it, but only after August was conceived, which exposed him to quite a bit of Element Zero, enabling his latent biotic abilities.
His life was good as a child. He had very little in the way of problems. He lived in Massachusetts where he made friends with an older boy by about five years named Ben who constantly hung out with him and looked after him like an older brother. He’s been told since then that it was to date his sister Danielle (who he did end up with in the end), but it became much more than that as their friendship went on.
The First Contact War against the turian race drafted his mother into service and his friend Ben enlisted to fight against this alien threat. Unfortunately, in the few months the war lasted, both of them did not come home. The loss of his mother broke everyone in the family, but particular his father, Frank. And the loss of Ben got to Danielle as well. His family were in shambles from the outcome of the First Contact War. Danielle found her solace in her studies and became an absolute shut-in. His older sister, Shirley, who had already left home, tried her best to support her family during this time while also trying to start her life as a newly-graduated college student. Frank, however, had taken the loss of his wife likely the hardest. In the span of the next year, he tried to kill himself twice after falling into a deep depression, failing both times. He spent all of his time locked away in his room, drinking his sorrows away. This caused a lot of tension between August and him, who believed he was failing him during this time.
At a point, August ran away to join the military and enlisted with the Systems Alliance. He trained with them, learning the trade of a soldier and working hard at it. Within a short amount of time, he was drafted into the N7 programme where he worked for the ICT, conducting intensive training for an extended period of time before becoming an N7 himself.
From there on, he was deployed in a variety of during the Skyllian Blitz and was a notable and powerful asset during that time. He received his intense facial scarring while on Elysium and was hailed as a war hero by not only the denizens of the Alliance, but also the citizens of the galaxy.
It was years later where the Council themselves summoned him to their chambers to become the leader of G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. They believed he had the leadership qualities one could find in a non-council race that would be perfect for the role of Commander-in-Chief. They gave him the ranking, the starships, and the freedom to do with the agency as they pleased. He was also given a whole space station known as Asgard Station, where his program helped train the next generation of soldiers to help protect the galaxy at large. He was seen giving a speech to the First Class during their Orientation Ceremony.
Civil Uprisings of 2185
On October 16th, 2185, August was involved in the Cipritine Riots of 2185, where he and Farron Cilan ordered a strike team from the CSV Muramasa to save the Primarch of Palaven, Aurelion Grasca, from Insurrection captivity. This was a controversial order that led to the Butcher of Cipritine, Roget Martius (secretly James Talon) being found out and murdered by his fellow operatives. Since then, August has considered Farron a close friend and a powerful asset to use in matters of leadership.
While his orders helped save the Primarch, he and his organization came under a lot of criticism, most notably from the Salarian Councilor Leral Veran, who was unsure if his continued support in G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. was well placed. This led to a conference that took place on Sur'Kesh, where Councilor Veran announced that he was withdrawing his support from GUARDIAN officially. In actuality, he was continuing it, but only under the tables. Outraged by this, August took to the media and gave a rousing speech that became famous around the galaxy and declared war on the Insurrection. At which point, Genea Tasati working together with Ralek, an operative of August's, bombed the press conference, killing one of his operatives in the process. She then sent
The Commander-in-Chief also had a major hand in the Battle For Wrill, assisting the Krogan Empire in taking back their homeworld in return for possible support. He gave executive decisions from the Aegis to the ground team and assisting the staff that was relegated to support. Making the decision to call in support from the Citadel Fleet, he helped win the battle via air support. Defeating the Dominion, this was a major victory for G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. as a whole.
Finally, on December 31st, 2185, August organized a diplomatic meeting between Councilor Laius Caern, Emperor Drogar Ravenor, Drogar Ratarok, and a political team from the CSV Aegis. This summit was interrupted, however, by Ralek in the Insurrection's TITAN mecha, who came to destroy the Aegis and wreck the Shroud Ruins in the process for the entire galaxy to see. Broadcasting it live on the extranet, August and a team piloted their own TITAN and engaged Ralek's in combat. With yet another rousing speech, August beat down the Insurrection's TITAN and killed the vorcha in the process, winning the war. Shortly afterwards, however, August was informed that his dad, Frank, had died from cancer, dampening the entire event.
Pre-Terminus War Interim Period
In early April 2186, August began to black out and cough up blood in public. Confused and worried, he got into contact with his medical professional sister, Shirley Emerson, for the first time in years, meeting his brother-in-law and nephews. Explaining to her the situation, she urged him on to seek out medical attention, but he didn't commit to anything. He continued to refuse to find answers right up until the point that he suffered a small accident in the middle of the public gym on the Aegis. He had his sister refer him to a private specialist on the Citadel afterward, terrified that he could be losing his edge entirely.
The initial specialist thought there was nothing to be worried about, but August, not being convinced, sought out more professional opinions. He was referred to a virologist and a neurologist who then informed him that he had contracted a mysterious, mutating, cancer-like disease that broke down the immune system and killed brain activity slowly. They called it M-12E or the Mummer's Plague, as it seemed to copy the symptoms of a bunch of different diseases and roll them up into one. Distraught, August fled from the scene and the media that followed him, going to an empty lot and destroying his hovercar out of frustration.
The Bachelor: G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N.
After being diagnosed with Mummer's, August was contacted by Astral Studios to be the central figure in a gameshow of theirs called The Bachelor: G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. The studio rounded up a slew of girls unknowingly and made them the contestants of their show, with a girl being voted off each "episode" until their was a sole winner who would take August's heart!
August always remained in excellent health thanks to a regimen carried over from his days as an athlete and body builder. He eats very well and very rarely ever treats himself to unhealthy snacks or food items. At the age of forty (2185), he is still a vibrant and healthy man.
Despite his position as the Commander-in-Chief of G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N., August still found time for bodybuilding, boxing, and biotiball sports, usually within the CSV Aegis' expansive Gymnasium. Nevertheless, he shows a tendency to overwork, avoids vacations altogether, and suffered from chronic insomnia and has for most of his adult life.
Owing to an Inferno Grenade during the Skyllian Blitz, artificial skin grafts were placed on the right hand of August's face to replace some of the horrible scarring, even if it wasn't able to do all of it. The grafts themselves didn't last long and August decided to leave them be and let his scarring show.
August Emerson is known by his medical officials as nigh-obsessive compulsive about his schedule. Preferring them as he believes that they give balance and order to his everyday life, he has internalized a daily schedule that his doctors are fully aware of. It goes as follows -
- Wake up.
- Shower w/ Air Dry.
- Coffee Time.
- Take pills and drink water.
- Wait for ten minutes and don't lie down or else there will be stomach sickness.
- Water Herb Garden.
- Get dressed in workout clothes w/ messy bed hair look.
- Hair must be done up just right or facial scarring will look awful.
- Morning Workout.
- Barbell Squats: 5 sets of 5 reps.
- Barbell Bench Press: 5 sets of 5 reps.
- Bent Over Barbell Row: 5 sets of 5 reps.
- Pull Ups: 2 sets of 8 reps.
- Side Lateral Raise: 2 sets of 8 reps.
- Sit Ups: 2 sets of 15 reps.
- Head back to room.
- Breakfast. The options are:
- Scrambled Eggs and Turkey Bacon.
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal.
- CHEAT DAY OPTIONS:
- Blueberry Protein Pancakes w/ sugar free syrup.
- Kale Chocolate Smoothie Meal Replacement.
- Change into formal attire.
- Always dress in Jorram Garr-designed G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. Officer Wear.
- Swing by the botanical gardens for a five minute refresher.
- Look at self in mirror and give yourself an amped, brotherly pep talk.
- Head to the bridge and get to work for however long they need you.
- Lunch Break. The options are:
- Tuna Wrap w/ lettuce, peppers, apples, peanut butter, onions, and pickles.
- Baked Potato Extreme w/ cottage cheese, cheddar, salsa, and green onions.
- Chicken “Fried” Rice w/ egg whites, onions, mushrooms, and chicken breast.
- Italian Shrimp Angel Hair Pasta w/ broccoli florets and red peppers.
- Back to work. Saving the galaxy. No big D.
- Mid-Shift Proteins & Carbs.
- Sweet potatoes, carrots, chicken breast, etc.
- Get out of work and say goodbye to everyone on the bridge.
- Swing by the botanical gardens for a five minute refresher.
- Walkabout Free Time.
- Head home and shower. Redo hair.
- Hair must be done just right or facial scarring will look awful.
- Get dressed in workout clothes once again.
- Nightly workout.
- Barbell Deadlift: 3 sets of 6 reps.
- Incline Dumbell Press: 3 sets of 10 reps.
- Wide Grip Lat Pulldown: 3 sets of 8 reps.
- Leg Extensions: 2 sets of 10 reps.
- Lying Leg Curls: 2 sets of 10 reps.
- Side Lateral Raise: 2 sets of 10 reps.
- Crunches: 2 sets of 15 reps.
- Dinner Time. The options are:
- Tomato-Feta Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast w/ brown rice.
- Sesame Tahini Shrimp and Zucchini Linguine Pasta Salad.
- Spicy Flank Steak Kabobs w/ sweet potato and cherries.
- Lean and Green Meal Replacement Smoothie.
- CHEAT DAY OPTIONS:
- T-Bone Steak Medium-Rare w/ Apple Butter and Asparagus.
- Takeout from Thresher Garden, an Asari food place.
- A meat lover’s pizza ordered in from Dooger’s.
- Home free time.
- Video Games.
- Jerking Off.
- Nightly shower.
- Late night work.
A natural born leader, August Emerson exudes confidence that borders on arrogance, but tries to keep his ego in check. He's known to mock people he views as potential threats to his position and try to one-up everyone else, showing off a naturally competitive pattern of behavior. Criticized in the past for his demeanor, he has taken steps to try and break the habit of his conceit, but it's been a difficult process for him. Some believe that his overconfidence is a compensation for the way his father treated him when he was growing up and how he felt forgotten about.
He comes off as a charismatic and particularly roguish character, but in reality he’s quite a sullen and retiring man who wishes to help people as much as he can without basking in the light of a hero. He feels he is not ready for that kind of spotlight nor does he deserve it yet. Being popularized in the media as the face of G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. gives him mixed feelings and he's unsure of how to deal with it when people in the public try to reach out to him.
As a very traditional person, he thinks that people need to be able to stand on their own two feet without help from others. He believes that hard work and dedication is the key to success and that species, wealth, or anything else that could get in your way are just obstacles to overcome. This traditional sense also extends to his financial situation, being a very frugal person at heart that tries to spend as little money as he possibly can.
August is also shown to be a vain man who cares a bit too much about his appearance. Spending sometimes hours upon hours making sure that he looks in tip-top shape, his hair always styled perfectly, and his clothes always ironed and never wrinkly, he's always put a lot of import on how he looks. This has sometimes interfered in the way that he views other people who might look like slobs, judging them from their outward appearance rather than what matters within.
Despite his flaws, August has been shown to be a particularly kindhearted human being, believing that every single person has their role to play and that everyone has the capacity to be a hero. And despite his traditional nature, he's prone to overextending himself and tries to help people out a little bit too often for his own good. Patient, sensitive, and caring, he's been said to be the perfect man for the job in leading the organization that has the purpose of being the galaxy's crutch in dark times.
In regards to his feelings about aliens, some speculate he is a bit xenophobic, but he denies this claim. Really, having been born into a normal human society, non-human races are quite foreign to him and he’s unsure how to handle relations with them. He's been doing his best, as of late, but it's hard not for him to stick stereotypes onto races somewhat undeservingly after dealing with them for long enough diplomatically.
"I don't lose sleep over the potential for failure. I can't even spell the word,"
- August, on the subject of failure."You're much stronger than you think you are. Trust me,"
- August, when reassuring an operative."I didn't get these scars for my candor,"
-August, in response to his time with the Alliance during the Skyllian Blitz."I was once sent to the Citadel to greet a platoon that had come home from work, awarding the medal of honour to a soldier who had lost his legs and risked his life to save his fellow brothers-in-arms. And when I went to pin it on him in front of his entire brigade, he stood up to me and told me that he didn't want the medal. He didn't want the medal because the threat they were dealing with was still out there and he didn't feel safe. He didn't feel like he deserved it. He didn't want the medal. How many nights does that kid go to sleep!?"
- August, during his speech to Asgard Station's First Class during their Orientation Day."I don't want somebody menacing or intimidating. That isn't what G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. is about, Mr. Din. We're not the ever-present sword pointing toward the future. G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. is the helping hand ready to pick you up off the floor at a moment's notice. And yes, you may not be an ambassador as of this moment, Mr. Din. That is true. But we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act... but a habit,"
- August, when attempting to convince Orton Din that he is the right man for the Main Bridge Comms Officer position.“I will not tolerate - I will not allow - any talk of the necessity of necessary evil. I have spent my life on that line and every time I’ve seen someone cross it in the name of a greater good, death and horror and shame was what followed. The Reapers are a dangerous threat. If anybody knows that, it’s me. The truth is that it does not matter if we destroy the Leviathan of Dis here today. Another Reaper will take its place or another monster or, heck, the Batarian Hegemony itself will come knocking at our doors for a fight. And by God, we will have that fight if they ask for it. But we won’t let them win it. We’re G.U.A.R.D.I.A.N. When it seems like the galaxy itself is telling us to give up, we plant ourselves beside the river of truth and tell the entire universe to move. If the batarians become a problem for us in the future because of this, that’s fine, because I am not giving up on them or any race in this galaxy. We will not compromise the lives of hundreds of thousands of potentially innocent lives, batarian, slave, or otherwise. Pack everything up, we’re going home. Mission accomplished.”
- August, when faced with the decision to either let three hundred thousand batarians on Aratoht die to kill a Reaper or leave it and potentially let the Reaper indoctrinate the Batarian Hegemony.
- August would often times substitute animals from the ursine family when wanting to swear."Sweet Christmas."
- A common exclamation of Emerson's."You goof!"
- A common insult of August's.
- August was initially created for a Mass Effect Tabletop Adventure where he was, at the time, the canon character Jon Grissom during the First Contact War. Because his characterization in the game was so different from the canon lore, he was made into his own original character when Sam came up with Mass Effect: Guardian.
- August Emerson's original faceclaim was a humanized version of Mass Effect squad member, Garrus Vakarian. Now, however, his design is heavily based off of Captain America and Steve Rogers more specifically.